Thursday, May 30, 2013

Year 2 of Homeschooling

The summer of 2006 rolled around and we knew we wanted to continue on this path of homeschooling for as long as God kept us there so to better educate myself, I went to a one day homeschooling equipping day put on by Smoothing the Way called Starting the Way.  The two biggest take away from that day that has stuck with me throughout all the years:

1.  You will never be able to teach your child everything they need to know, no teacher ever will.  Your job is to develop a love for learning so that they will want to go research it and teach themselves.

2. Committing to homeschool your child this year does not mean that you will be homeschooling all your children until the graduate highschool.  Take it one child, one year at a time.

We had a new addition- a third son, Matthew, who was 9 months old. Jonah (age 4) and Caleb (age 3) when I kicked off the second year of school using a couple kindergarten comprehension book I bought at Sam's Club, First Grade level Hooked on Phonics and a introduction to science called Mudpies to Magnets. Caleb was 34 months old by this point so I kicked off the preschool stuff I had done with Jonah the year before.  Two boys would spend an hour in Room Time (parent-directed playing in his crib & room, when they're walking, with the door shut) while I taught one-on-one with the other child and then they'd switch places and Matty would go down for his morning nap.    My days were filled with overwhelming fulfillment and purpose!  I was playing a part in God's work of molding and shaping them and building a foundation on the Lord and being filled with knowledge and understanding and it was amazing!


An excerpt from my 2006 Christmas card:


"In late September I began home schooling Caleb this year along with Jonah.  He is doing much better than I had anticipated.  He enjoys it and always wants to do more when I say “that’s all for today”.  He is reading at a kindergarten level and Jonah at a first grade level now.  We are also learning basic Spanish (mommy is too): shapes, colors, the alphabet, numbers 1-20 and common words."

School/Play Room

 Jonah and Caleb doing a school craft

Matty (8 months old) having "Room Time"

No comments:

Post a Comment